Sunday, April 15, 2007

You should read...

I was frittering away time in my usual fashion and read these.

The Moment

The moment when, after many years
of hard work and a long voyage
you stand in the centre of your room,
house, half-acre, square mile, island, country,
knowing at last how you got there,
and say, I own this,

is the same moment the trees unloose
their soft arms from around you,
the birds take back their language,
the cliffs fissure and collapse,
the air moves back from you like a wave
and you can’t breathe.

No, they whisper. You own nothing.
You were a visitor, time after time
climbing the hill, planting the flag, proclaiming.
We never belonged to you.
You never found us.
It was always the other way round.

--Margaret Atwood

Onions

The onion loves the onion.
It hugs its many layers,
saying O, O, O,
each vowel smaller
than the last.

Some say it has no heart.
It doesn’t need one.
It surrounds itself,
feels whole. Primordial.
First among vegetables.

If Eve had bitten it
instead of the apple,
how different
Paradise.

--Lorna Crozier

5 Comments:

Blogger annika fox said...

I like that first one especially. Even though it does seem extremely Margaret Atwoody.

April 16, 2007  
Blogger miss machismo said...

I like the sinister end of that one. I can positively hear the windy maleficent whisper of pines, 'No'.

April 16, 2007  
Blogger Crypto said...

I like them both, but the first one seemed so 'important' that reading the second one made me think who cares about onions when people need to be told that they don't own anything? But I liked the ending of the Onion one.

April 16, 2007  
Blogger miss machismo said...

I think the onion is just as important. FIRST AMONG VEGETABLES.

April 16, 2007  
Blogger Elizabette Langdon said...

I would say that I personally like the Moment better than the Onion, though both are interesting. The Onion may be First Among Vegetables, but the other peom has Trees!

April 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home