Saturday, March 31, 2007

Today's Question

Is there a men's equivalent to the Very Short Skirt?

I suppose I should specify that it is a tasteful and sparingly used Short Skirt, as opposed to a meritrice kind of short skirt. The sort of thing that lovely business women in films wear. I ask because I found it useful when last I visited a Manuscripts reading room. I suspect they would not have been so kind if I had chosen the dress code of my female colleagues. (Ill-fitting blazer, bland collared shirt, ill-fitting trousers, brogues.)I should say that I did not plan this rather unethical use of clothes; I only packed it because it took up the least space in my limit luggage.

Anyway, do men have access to the advantages of strategic dressing? I understand that women in general are less responsive to such visual cues, but for myself, I am inclined to think the equivalent is a degree of sartorial elegance.

But I am eager to know what you think.

6 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

I would have to agree. A well fitting shirt in colours that suit ones complexion do wonders for both genders, I think. But it has to fit well. an untucked, stained, white shirt with a yellowed beer tshirt underneath dosn't quite amount to the same thing.

April 02, 2007  
Blogger Elizabette Langdon said...

I don't know that there is the equivelant for men. For isn't part of the function of the Short Skirt to show off the ladies elegant legs and general shapliness. I don't think you have clothes for men that are designed to show off their figure in the same manner.

But, if you are looking for a style that serves the function of making the man appear to best advantage, then I suppose, as you have already noted a well fitting shirt and trousers. Though, I don't think this would be very formal, for I believe at present it is more stylish to have a casual, almost haphazard appears - though still clean and unstained.

April 02, 2007  
Blogger miss machismo said...

I think sartorial elegance goes beyond having a properly fitted shirt. It requires a degree of panache and thought.

April 02, 2007  
Blogger Francesca said...

I agree. In both womens and mens cases, I think it depends on the 'degree of panache and thought', as you say. Fashion styles change, but perhaps the confidence of looking good does not?

April 02, 2007  
Blogger annika fox said...

Yeah, I think women are more likely to treat a man well if he looks really well-put together rather than because he is showing some sexy thigh. You know.

However, I'm not sure it makes it an equivalent.

April 04, 2007  
Blogger bento said...

I think the equivalent is a well-pressed collared white shirt with the sleeves rolled up. It is simple, elegant, and makes any man look several levels more attractive. However, that said, men are much less likely to get favoured treatment due to what they wear. Which is both a good and a bad thing, I think.

April 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home