Tuesday, March 20, 2007

A New Hat


I have often wondered what it might be like to have to have ones hair covered all the time. So, this week I have decided to find out what it is like and am going to wear a headscarf.

Tuesday: Now I know how vain I am about my hair. Much more vain than I thought I was. I never really though much of my hair, but now that I do not have it out, I feel positively haggard. I have absent mindedly almost taken the scarf off twice today. I think from that vague feeling that I was still wearing my hat inside. It feels odd to have ones ears covered for so long a period of time. There are not a lot of scarf-wearing people in St. Andrews. I have had several odd looks, and several hastily averted looks. Am I being racist when I suspect this is due to seeing a blue-eyed scarf-wearer?



Wednesday: WEll, since I felt extremely ugly without my hair yesterday, I decided on a Rapunzelly scarf. Which I like, only it irritatingly slips back often. Not very much, but enough that my hair shows a bit, *gasp*. Since this scarf does not look like a hajib, I got curious looks instead of sideways ones. It is a bit peculiar looking - I would look curiously too. It is funny but now even the slightest whisp of hair seems pretty.

Thursday: I was feeling a bit selfconscious having to wear a scarf to teach, because then is truely a situation when everyone is looking at me. But it was alright, I even got a compliment on it. I begin to suspect that hiding ones hair encourages other to think it is pretty. At least, I find it is much nicer now than I was used to think.


Friday: I like todays scarf but the dratted thing WILL insist on falling back. It is MOST VEXING. I feel a bit like a discerning nun. One who obviously won't become one if she insists on this extravagant taste in head-wear. For kicks I read Tertullian's tract On Modesty. I was surprised that he does not insist that women cover their hair. He takes violent exception to hair dye though. I thought, on the whole, it was a rather sensible tract considering he is an Early Christian writer (b. 160ish). I was expecting a lot more 'wickedness-of-women-and-vileness-of-beauty'. However, he even suggested that his strictures on modest dress and bearing ought to be adhered to by men also. How fair.

10 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

After first year, I spent the entire summer working in a cabinet factory and wearing a scarf on my head. I mostly did this because I had seen a news story about women wearing headscarves (probably on CBC) and they said that women who wear them are less likely to be vicitms of sexual harrassment. Since I was my only test subject, I can't really conclude on the effectiveness of my measure.

I am very interested to hear what you think about it by the end of the week. Yours in the picture is much more extensive than mine was.

March 22, 2007  
Blogger bento said...

oh pippa, you are so very beautiful. The headscarves and pictures reminded me of how lovely you really are. Thanks for the diary and the interesting perspective on a mode of dress which is both an ancient tradition and a modern controversy.

March 24, 2007  
Blogger annika fox said...

Oh, just for kicks. Oh Tertullian.

March 25, 2007  
Blogger Elizabette Langdon said...

I am quite fond of the look of your 'new hat'. And really like the pictures you posted! So, did Friday conclude the experiment? Do you think you will continue to cover your lovely hair, at least one in a while?

But most importantly, have you managed to start a new trend?

March 25, 2007  
Blogger miss machismo said...

Bento! I must adjure you not to be so distressingly hyperbolic! My head may swell and explode, and I cannot desire that as an End. You make me sound much more intelligent than I am you know. I was just curious; I hardly intended a comment on ancient tradition and modern controversy! That make me seem much too methodical, when really I am a helterskelter sort of person.

March 25, 2007  
Blogger miss machismo said...

Oh, thank-you Bets. Which Hat is Best? No, I hardly think it will set a trend. At least not in the small circle of people that I am acquainted with - they know only too well how irritated I was with it!

March 25, 2007  
Blogger annika fox said...

Did any of your circle think it was strange and try to persuade you out of it, though? Or at least ask for further explanation?

March 25, 2007  
Blogger bento said...

the day your head swells and explodes, my dear, is the day that Satan and I skate arm in arm to work. I shall cease and desist for now though, since I certainly don't want you to reach an End anytime soon.

March 26, 2007  
Blogger miss machismo said...

No, none of them tried to persuade me out of it, though I think all of them thought it strange. Some ignored it though I think they were curious. One said, 'oh, nice scarf' and that was that. It was the hajib scarf too, so I was a bit surprised at the evident notice and accompanying lack of curiosity. One kept inquiring if I was becoming Muslim even though I explained twice.

March 26, 2007  
Blogger Elizabette Langdon said...

I suppose I could understand someone asking if you were becoming Muslim on the first day, because of the style, but certainly not at any other point. Even so, I don't see why a change in head dress should indicate a change in religion. I can only suppose that you have never spoken to that person about religion.

I would say that I liked the the second and fourth scarves best, the one that was to look like Rapunzel and the pretty orange and blue(?).

March 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home