Wednesday, January 31, 2007

In the New World

Persons that will become invaluable if we have some kind of ecological/economic disaster:

blacksmiths, chandlers, weavers, farmers, potters, sailors, herbalists, medics, tailors, millers, cobblers, knackermen, woodspersons, midwives, joiners, spinners, builders, and others that didn't occur to me in my sleep.

Persons who will become less valuable if we have some kind of ecological/economic disaster:

financiers, CEOs, politicians, accountants, HR, administrators, idlers, insurance salepersons, luxury manufacturers, and others that didn't occur to me in my sleep.

Persons who are not valued now, and won't be valued then, but should be valued in both cases:

musicians, story-tellers, artists, truth-speakers, dancers, teachers, reporters, poets, mentoring persons, and others that didn't occur to me in my sleep.

4 Comments:

Blogger Francesca said...

hmm.. I wonder what a knackerman is?

Perhaps in preparation for a post-apocalyptic time we should, instead of buying cans, take up an extra, useful task. Mine would be weaving, I believe.

Which would you choose?

February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EEEWWwww! Knackermen are yucky. You should read James Herriot, Brier.

I actually think some reporters should not be valued very much. For instance, Margaret Wente, who writes climate-change-denials and irate diatribes against recycling for the Globe and Mail. Of course, perhaps she's more of an opinion writer than a reporter.

February 05, 2007  
Blogger miss machismo said...

Yes, I suppose I meant really the role of the reporter as a person who reports objectively (as objectively as possible) on events that are happening to people so that they cannot say, "We did not know" - which is the sort of statement that usually means something bad has/will happen.

February 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Margaret Wente counts as a reporter. She is a columnist with a predictable point of view.

February 05, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home