Monday, August 08, 2005

Pocket Full of Posies....

I generally think of myself as a fairly modern young woman with all the usual attitudes towards science, medicine etc. However, I must acknowledge myself to be thoroughly mediaeval in my attitude towards smells. Yes, smells. In my soul of souls, I am convinced that bad smells are bringers of illness, they are contagious, they befoul the otherwise unblemished. Good smells impart life, health and wellness in mind and body. They do battle with the plague-ridden stenches of the world! Posies of flowers become a completely reasonable protection against virulent viruses and dastardly bacteria. On this issue, my rational mind seems to have no say.

1 Comments:

Blogger bento said...

Having just finished reading "The Poisonwood Bible", I know you wouldn't be able to handle Africa and it's panoply of smells.

I think it's important to embrace the fact that we all have totally irrational beliefs, though. Like my worry as a child that all my friends and family were merely shape-shifting aliens doing a series of elaborate tests on me. And my subsequent decision that, since I couldn't prove otherwise, I would accept their alienness since they seemed happy not to kill me for discovering their secret.

(this is L., by the way, and I'm delighted to have found your wonderful thoughts)

August 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home